Wednesday, February 25, 2009

A Black Deer In Connecticut?

Do you think he is black? Unlike the very rare albino deer which is white or not white, the black deer's dark coloration can range from gray to very black. Some say it is more rare than an albino. It is the melanism, unusual darkening of body tissues caused by excessive production of melanin; especially, a form of color variation in animals.
Some more video of black deer.
Read More About It!
White-Tailed Deer (Early Bird Nature Books)
Dorothy Hinshaw Patent, William Munoz

1 comment:

PWAC said...

I live in CT. Right before the holidays, I had a herd of 7 black deer run through my yard. There was 1 baby, 2 "teens", 3 does and I believe the 7th was a buck, but I could only see his backside from behind a tree. They were incredible! I didn't know black deer existed!